Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Ferry

The smaller ferry is a bit faster and runs more often. When it runs. Today the Gulf is choppy and I was not looking forward to the ride in the small ship. My wishes were granted, it was cancelled until tomorrow. However, tomorrow morning I am to give my paper in Helsinki. I was able to switch to a larger ship on a different line. The small ferry is not in an area where taxis (takso) are available, but the helpful woman at the desk said "no problem, you can walk in 20 minutes" (I had 3 hours to kill). The reason the first ferry canceled is the waves, driven by a fierce north wind. walking around the end of the harbor in the wind at about 4C was a brisk adventure. At any rate I did arrive and am waiting for the ship to leave. Have I mentioned that wifi is free all over the place, including ferry terminals where you are a captive audience? In the US at an airport this post would cost $10 (and therefore not exist).

No comments:

Post a Comment