Saturday, April 24, 2010

Photography


One thing about being away from the routine is I have a chance to do some things I don't get to do so much at home. Lately I have been experimenting with photography. It turns out that after WWII, some of the spoils of war the USSR got were German camera and optical factories. Leica was and is one of the most respected names in cameras. The Soviets copied the early Leica's and then actually improved on them. They produced millions of them. Now, a classic Leica rangefinder might cost $800 or more. A similar (very similar, pretty much the same in terms of performance) FED can be had for $30 at an antique store, or maybe $10 at a flea market. The advantage at the antique store is you can sort through 20 or 30 cameras in one place, and they seem to be cleaner than the ones in the market.
Now that I have this great camera, with wonderful optics, the first thing I did was remove the lens and make a pinhole for it. I used a metal candy box about 2.5 inches square, and a bit of aluminum can for the actual pinhole. I've worked my way down to a hole about 0.25 mm in diameter. The pinhole replaces the lens. It's not as clear of course, but it's f157, so the depth of field is almost infinite, and it shoots photos with a certain quality you can't get with a lens.
So here's one example: St. Catharine's walk in Tallinn, f-157, 6 second exposure.

No comments:

Post a Comment