Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Residency Cards

No visa is required to visit Estonia for up to 90 days, which is great for vacations and business trips. But we are staying longer than that, and since no visa is required, you have to do the paperwork here, under a deadline. The problem we have is that there are 4 of us, only 1 of us is working here, and 1 of us is 19, therefore an adult, but neither working nor a full-time student.
So here's our tale so far (but keep in mind I generally require 2 or 3 trips to renew my drivers license in the USA):
All four of us went to the migration office to do the initial paperwork (1 working, 3 dependents).
The next day, three of us went back to finish up some loose ends.
Then I went on one followup trip to police for more paperwork for my own (working) permit.
Then Nathan and I went once to police to submit different (student) paperwork for Nathan.
I went to the migration office after getting a notice that my card was ready (it wasn't yet, the notice said it would be ready later, not it is ready).
So I had to make another trip to pick it up.
Lucas, Nathan and I went to pickup Lucas's card (the office was closed).
Lucas went back to pickup his card.
Nathan still didn't have the right application filed, so he and I went again to the police station (the "independently wealthy" option).
Polly went to pickup her card and got it on the first try.

I think that's 10 visits to various offices so far, sometimes we all go, sometimes we go individually. We are hoping that with just one more trip to get Nathan's card we'll be done.

No comments:

Post a Comment