Friday, July 31, 2009

Interesting things I have learned about Estonia:

Even though it is cold, dark and damp for much of the winter (like Houghton Michigan, where I spent 6 winters) apartments don't typically have dryers. I guess we'll send towels to the laundry(?)
The seafood is reported to be excellent.
I can't seem to find a craigslist for Estonia. Maybe I should start one. I'm told they don't have anything like Goodwill or Salvation Army either. What will we do for cheap dishes?
The currency is the kroon, pegged to the Euro. right now $1 US is about 11 ro 12 Kr. They hope to go to the Euro soon.
Estonian language is extremely difficult. I have a "teach yourself" CD, and it sounds like nothing else I have ever heard. On the other hand, the people reportedly speak english well, and appreciate any attempts by Americans to speak Estonian. Tere! is hello, and I can say please and thank you, but I don't think I'll be conversing in the native tongue.

No comments:

Post a Comment